Monday, December 25, 2006

finally...


The time between finals week and Christmas FLEW by... I spent all my time making and wrapping and spending time with people. I had a great time teaching Katie how to knit and encourage her to bust out a scarf for mom for Christmas, as well as working on my own knitting endeavors. Most of this last week has been spent making Katie's armwarmers out of Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino. I am really proud of them. I really improved my design from my first pair. Instead of the one cable I upgraded to a braid, as well as threw in a couple decreases after the ribbing to make them more fitted. The thumbholes on these aren't huge like the last one, and are long enough to go over the knuckes.. I love them. If they weren't such a bright pink color I would have kept them and given Katie something else for Christmas..

The other labor this past week has been a hat. I have wanted to so badly since I pulled this bright red knitted thrift store hat out of my sock drawer a few weeks back and have been wearing it every day since. I have never knitted a hat... so I decided to do what I normally do (since I have to take the time to actually learn how to read patterns) and made things up until I got what I wanted. I have a bunch of DB Alpaca Silk left over from scarf projects and decided why not. Well, in the case of armwarmers that usually worked out the first time. Not with the hat. I made one that was too small because I started decreasing too early due to the double points not being able to hold all the stitches. Then I got a circular needle and made one WAY too big. I'm pretty sure It could have fit all of planet earth inside. So I pulled that apart and last night finished this. It is a little smaller than I originally intended (I like to put my hair up in them) but it works. Katie is modeling it for me... and It feels as soft as it looks.

I have to figure out how to get that fancy what I am working on stuff in my sidebar. Now I am making more armwarmers because now everyone wants them, lucky me. I found this sweet vintage button store and bought some buttons for a design I am thinking up... come back in a couple days to see if it actually works.

Mickey

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home